My heart aches as I write this thinking about the millions and millions of women who live their lives unfulfilled. The are proud to be mothers and do a super job at it but what about themselves. We live frustrated with the world and blame everyone else for how we feel. We expect our lives to change but yet leave it in the hands of someone else. We give away the power and authority that God has given us. We wake up feeling used and go to sleep feeling lonely. How can we live in this life when we can't even stand to look at ourselves in the mirror? How can I be a mother when I don't even know my own name anymore? I have taken on so many titles and responsibilities that I no longer have a sense of purpose of my own. How do I begin living a life for myself when everyone else depends on me? Is it selfish to want to run away and leave everything behind?
These are very real feelings that we feel as women because we do give so much of our energy to nuture the lives of others. In the process of raising a family we lose our own identity. We forget how beautiful we are because we don't wear a size 8 anymore, we have stretch marks, our hair is thining out and we are growing hair in areas that we once thought only men grew them in. (lip, chin..etc.)
Have you ever felt like life was not worth living anymore? Did you ever feel like no one understood or even cared about the emptiness you feel inside? "Can anyone see my pain?". "Does anyone know that I am so depleted I can't even stand?". I speak these things from a very personal place because I did once feel all of this. I know many women who still do. I also know there are many who are ashamed to admit they do.
You see we feel that we are supposed to be strong....always hold it together because we are moms. "I can't show weakness because I am my childrens' role model." Hello! Weakness is not a bad thing. It is actually a sign of virtue. How can I ever be strong and know my worth unless the shell breaks? Your true beauty, value and strength comes from the ability to be vulnerable and compassionate....it comes from the inside. "In your weakness, God's strength is made perfect".
I personally have had many powerful and uplifting talks about life with my daughter when I was broken. It is important that our children learn that even if you have a bad day you can turn it around. They need to learn how to process emotions and move through life. We have to realize that every emotion that we feel is valid and has a place in the journey of self discovery. The closer we get to awakening the harder the struggle. We are breaking bondages and minsets that have been a part of us for many years.
Have you ever let a pan or plate sit dirty for several hours or even days? How hard is it to clean? Or have you ever tried to unscrew a rusty bolt? They only way to get that plate clean is to emerce it in some soapy water and let it soak. They only way to unscrew that bolt sometimes is to spray some grease or oil on it. That is what must take place when we are breaking out of our shell....out of our set mindsets. We have to be broken and allow the emotions to draw out the truth that is within us. We have to let God's truth (the water) cleanse us (soap) and heal us. We have to let the anointing (the grease, the oil) loosen the bondages.
We have all been designed to fulfill a purpose. God has ordained each of us to play a very important part in the restoration of His kingdom and in the reconciliation of His family. God invites us all to this marriage according to His word but only few accept the invitation. Only few take on the infirmities and burdens of His people to bring about freedom and life. Just as there are only a few soldiers that fight to defend our country. Your calling or purpose may not be to preach or start a ministry. God has a different purpose for each person. Some may be called to be teachers and enrich the lives of the next generation. Some may be called to be leaders in politics and change the nation (hello Obama). Others may just be called to be great mothers and wives and be a role model to someone that never had one in their life. None is greater then the other because they all serve the same mission.....to Glorify God and save His people. To awaken a nation and stop the self inflicted pain.
Sometimes we think that this life we live is really "OUR life". We get into this "MY Life" mindset. We have pitty parties with ourselves because we feel personally attacked or threatened when life isn't the way we want it. We have to realize that we are all God's children and His vessels. He allows certain situations to happen in order to steer us in the path of His calling for our life. It is about His purpose and His glory.
How do I endure hardship and still believe? How do I find purpose in all this caos? How do I keep myself from ripping someones head off? :) You awaken to the fact that God has called you. He has ordained you and all that you are going through is for His purpose. More then anything you must know without a shadow of a doubt that He loves you. "Perfect love casts out all fear." Fear tries to keep you in control and doesn't allow you to move by God's spirit, into your destiny. When we surrender to God's love we can then begin to see His glory revealed in us. We can begin to awaken to our true identity and live in peace and joy.
You know when your child does something "bad"? You know that they are not bad kids because you know their hearts. You understand that maybe they have learned a trait or mannerism from another child. Or maybe they just need to mature. You love them the same but you know they need to be punished or corrected because if not they will do it again. Sometimes we put them in time out or ground them without certain priviliges. They get so mad and say "mom when can I come out of the room". " Mom when can I watch TV". Sometimes they even say they hate you, never want to see you again or "I wish you weren't my mom". They go in their rooms and scream their heads off. Does any of that sound familiar? It should because many of US as adults do that with God. "Lord, why must I go through this"...."how much longer must I stay in this marriage"...."how much longer must I be unemployed". Can it be that the trial you are going through is preparing you for a greater purpose? Can it be that the marriage you are in is revealing your heart? Can it be that this time out of work is giving you time alone with God so He can heal your heart?
The number one thing is like I said GOD LOVES YOU. His thoughts of you are not to hurt you. He wants to prosper you. We love our children but we must show them the way so that they can mature and be all that they have been called to be. God does the same with us.
We often get lost playing roles. We lose our identity trying to develope others'. Then one day God says that is enough. Our spirits begin to stir and we become frustrated. You see our spirits know truth and deep down inside we know there is more. We know that we have been called...invited and we have excepted that call..the invitation to the marriage. All your history becomes HIStory. He uses your life to draw people unto Himself. He uses your life to affect a nation not just your family. You are a SUPERWOMAN. You have super powers and you have been designed to soar above every circumstance that comes up against you. Take responsibility for your own life and put it in the hands of God. You are His and He is yours. You are a woman of virtue. Do you understand how amazing it is to be a woman? You are tender enough to love unconditionally but yet strong enough to bring forth life. Glory to God.
As women we have so much power. Everyone in our home relies on us in one way or another. :) Your paragraphs are pretty ;)
ReplyDeleteYes, we do. Yes they do rely on us and may times we become so consumed with doing it that we lose our passions, our dreams and our identities. When the children go off to school and grow up we kind of get left with an empty feeling. It is so important we learn how to balance our lives and still give ourself time to be who God called us to be. Many times we feel it is selfish to want to do something for ourselves. It is more selfish to be 1/2 a mom because we are too tired or frustrated with our lives. We must take time to refuel ourselves so that we can give the best of ourselves to the ones we love.
ReplyDeleteIris, Is is easier for you to read now? Thanks for the advice.
ReplyDelete